Facts about The Month of August
Facts about The Month of August, How much are you here was born in August? Also, like most of us say, in the month of August is named after the Roman Emperor Augustus. Actually that is true. The origin of August’s name: August was the 6th month in the early Romawi calendar, named after Julius Caesar Augustus.
This month originally named Sextilis in Latin, because the month was the sixth month in the old Roman calendar, that started in March about 750 BC under Romulus. It was the 8th month either when January and February were added to the beginning of the year by King Numa Pompilius about 700 BC or, where those two months were moved from the end to the beginning of the year by the decemvirs about 450 BC. It was renamed in honor of Augustus in 8 BC because several of the most important events in his rise to power, culminating in the fall of Alexandria, which fell in this month. Lore claims August originally had 29 days in the Roman Republican calendar. Augustus took two days from February and gave it to August when Sextilis was renamed in his honor. See Month lengths how this commonly believed lore was proven wrong.
August is the 8th month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar and one of seven Gregorian months with the length of 31 days. August begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Leo and ends in the sign of Virgo. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Cancer and ends in the constellation of Leo.
August is the height of the summer time in the temperate zone of the Northern Hemisphere. The longest days of the year is passed, but the hot days remain. In the northern regions and mountains, cool nights and early frosts lets one know that the summer is about to come to an end. In the Southern Hemisphere, August means the winter will soon be over.
Facts about The Month of August: The birds are already planning to fly south for the winter. The insects are more noisier and numerous than in any other month. This is perhaps the busiest month for businesses, since most people take their vacations in August.
Other interesting names for August:
- In Polish, the month is called sierpień, meaning “month of sickle”
- In Swedish, the month is named augusti, literally plural of the Latin augustus – “the venerable”
- In Finnish, the month is called elokuu, meaning “month of reaping” or literally, “month of life”
- In Japanese, the month is called hachigatsu (八月), meaning, simply, “eighth month.”
- In Irish, August is known as Lúnasa, a modern rendition of Lughnasadh, from the god Lugh.The first Monday in August is a holiday in the Republic of Ireland.
Another interesting thing about the month August is there are EIGHT COUNTRIES who gained independence during the month of August.
- August 9th, 1965 Singapore separated from the Federation of Malaysia and became independent.
- August 10th, 1822 Ecuador became an independent country.
- August 14th, 1947 Pakistan became independent (included East Bengal region as a whole).
- August 15th, 1945 Korea became an independent country.
- August 15th, 1947 India became an independent country.
- August 17th, 1945 Indonesia became an independent country.
- August 25th, 1825 Uruguay became independent from Brazil.
- August 31th, 1957 Malaysia became an independent country.
That are the interesting thing about the month August and Facts about The Month of August that you need to know.